19 July 2009

When to Take a Leap of Faith

[ Edit: As the typed the last line, there was a knock on the door and it was the gardener, wanting to introduce 2/5 of his children to us while the eldest son worked. ]

I was chatting with my guard the other day and asked how his family was. he said his 5 children were doing well but he was upset because his eldest son got "fired" from secondary school. a term at this school is 4000MKw (~$35CDN), but he could only afford half his son's tuition and the timing is particularly bad because finals are next week. Imagine not being able to afford secondary school? My heart breaks upon hearing struggles like this.

I let my emotions calm and went to seek advice from a colleague. it seemed like a story she'd heard a thousand times over and advised not to give him the money, unless of course I wanted to.

So I've been stuck in an emotional battle over the only options my mind sees fit:

1. Give the guard money
2. Don't give him money
3. Create a solution

If I give the guard the money, presumably, his son will be able to write his exams. However, there are 2 more terms in this school year. Do I give simply because I can? Going with option 1 is a quick fix, it's not sustainable. Even if I do give him the amount, how do I know it will go towards his son's education? I'm reminded of how Elizabeth Gilbert raised money for a house for a Balinese family, but was greatly deceived along the way.

Or I could harden my heart and turn my back? If I do not give the guard money, what will happen to his son? How will his future play out? I have the opportunity to create an opportunity for change. If valued, his education could equip with the skills needed to be a change maker in Malawi.

I analyze each pro and con and weigh the arguments on my scale of sustainability. I wonder if there are ever times when the pros and cons don't need to be weighed out, and I could just count on good people doing good things. If there can be times when we don't need to play out what is sustainable, what is better for the future, or even what is right, and just act?

I think these times exist. I've seen it happen. I've experienced it happening. I got to Malawi through the leaps of faith taken by family, friends, and complete strangers that I would be a good steward of their money.

If a stranger can take a leap of faith on me, surely I should be able to do the same.

But there is a third option. It's one that takes effort, but is the best one. Instead of simply giving money or holding back, there is a middle ground and it's not too difficult. Micro-lending, setting up a service or providing small-scale employment. So we're thinking something simple. Since we don't have a vehicle, we'll pay for him to buy and deliver our groceries. We're thinking AmazonFresh minus Amazon. We'll help sell this service to the neighbours as well so that he can continue to earn tuition money after we leave. This will be done on weekends so it does not cut into the school week. I dream of this service going to scale and maybe even paying his University tuition. Imagine?

So my leap of faith is in knowing that this will work. Am I doing the right thing? I'm not quite sure, but I'm doing something, and I know that that in itself is better than nothing.

5 comments:

  1. ...wow.

    The easy way would be for me to say I'm speechless and leave it at that but you didn't take the easy route so why should I?? so rather than worrying about the right words...

    There is a project I am working on (tell you more when we're back @ The Green Dot) and a defining concept we've been growing around is: Dream. Learn. Share.

    You Dreamed that it wasn't simply Option 1 or Option 2. You Dreamed and took the leap of faith.

    I Learned from you that if the options in front of you are simply mediocre, you don't just take the less mediocre but rather create a new one - one far from mediocre.

    And so, rather than just thanking you, I will Share this with those I know and ask them to Dream just like you did, KLugo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristina,

    That is a great post and a great example of the dilemma ahead. I think you are making the right choice of the third option.

    Over the years, I've worked a lot with adolescents and I have encouraged these types of endeavors. Whenever one of them wanted to buy something but complained that their parents wouldn't give them money, I sugggested that they make the money themselves. They were always surprised by that suggestion--and when they decided to act on it, it often took some pushing along the way--which you might have to do.

    I look forward to hearing about the progress with AmazonFresh.

    Peace,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the micro-lending option Kristina, definitely keep us posted on how it goes. Take care,
    Renjie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments boys!

    Hamoon: I can't wait to hear about Dream. Learn. Share. I know you well enough to know that this is an amazing idea and will be executed amazingly as well. Everyone needs to dream, learn and share even a little right? Happy research paper-ing!

    Nick: Thanks for the encouragement! Oftentimes, it's easy to get stuck in the "Yes/No" option, and don't consider anything else. I've started "Getting to Maybe", and am learning that maybe is the best mindset to be in.

    Renjie: I will definitely keep you posted. Can't wait to return to the team and get/give updates on each other's summers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Kris! wow I'm impressed with your level of understanding of the issues.. you're learning a lot I see =).. I agree with your third option too, Micro-lending is a great idea and creating self-sustaining opportunities is the only way to really alleviate poverty.. the empowerment will be powerful motivation.. nobody really wants a hand out all the time (option 1) and no one really wants to turn their backs on the problem (option 2).. I hope you can make some real progress on this front, although it definitely is the most difficult choice =\ kk take care! I'll write you soooon!

    ReplyDelete