17 June 2009

Mulibwanji!

after 34h (including a 7h flight to london, 12h layover in london, 11h flight to johannesburg, 3h wait, 3h flight), i have finally arrived in Malawi. Thanks to everyone for your support and prayers in getting me here =)

Disclaimer: Please excuse any spelling, grammar or logic mistakes in this post. I am lacking sleep.

Malawi is very mountainous! Much more so than I ever imagined. Mountains all around, and I'm determined to climb some. Kathleen and I already gave word to Paul that we'd like to climb Mt. Mulanji (just less than 10 000 ft) in July. The Zomba plateau is about 7000, so we can practice with that anytime we want.

When we arrived in Blantyre, I stepped off the plane, only to look up and see a 50m balcony completely filled with people cheering and waving to their friends and family arriving on the plane. It was quite a sight and made me smile =) I looked up to look for Kathleen, Paul and Helen, but failed. So instead, I took a 360 degree look around me and marvelled that I made it. I passed immigration and was immediately greeted by Paul in the baggage claim area. How did he get there? He has connections ;p I found my luggage and we were off with Kathleen for some lunch and grocery shopping (where we definitely tried to leave from the entrance).

I exchanged $200USD ($1USD=172 Kwacha), and the largest bill is 500 Kwacha, meaning I had a big wad of money. Cereal is expensive! I think 800 Kwacha for a smaller-than-regular box, and books are REALLY expensive: 9000!

When I was landing in Joburg, I thought "I'm in South Africa...AFRICA?! I'm in Africa!" I had a beautiful sunrise flight in where we were soaring above the clouds. In the distance, I could see the soft red soft rising. It colouring the land below, but also peaked through the low clouds above. Beautiful =) I'm a sucker for sunrises.

I'm here, I'm here. I can't wait to get started and let God work through me, use me, break me, and make me into the person He desires =)

June 15: Thanks Oates family for the plane ride books!
June 16: Thanks Pastor Kevin for the card. I was definitely tired when I read it, and it was a great encouragement =)

and some photos for those that don't like to read:
wee world traveller (:

buckingham palace; im a loner =(

palace after the changing of the guards

big ben IS quite big

EYE am in london

4 comments:

  1. Nothing can stop the triple threat that is your passion, faith, & perseverance.

    Everyone else believes in KLugo - make sure you're not the exception!:D

    But before you make amazing happen, you must first...

    ...sLEEp! Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh hahah. thanks hamoon.
    oh man. definitely needing some sleep!

    thanks for believing in me :D i shall make you proud...by first taking your advice and sleeping. goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! you made it :)

    GO KRISTINA ^_____^ !

    I'll be cheering you on/praying for you in NY :)

    ReplyDelete