13 June 2009

change: embrace it.


for my 21st birthday, my waterloves got me this beautiful jeanine payer necklace :D

change and i didn't always have a history of wonderful tales. we didn't always get along. the first semester of high school, the first term of university, first weeks at work, all extremely exciting times, but always mildly to overly difficult for me.

one of the most important lessons waterloo has taught me is to embrace change. in a program that required slight to extreme change every 4 months, i've learned to look forward to new chapters in life and to go at them full swing, knowing that amidst all the changes going on around me, the people and ideals i value will never change. i can almost say that i've become a change lover. i expect change and now love new surroundings, new houses, new roommates, new food, new climates, new everything. change and i have become good friends now, because change, they say, is the one of the only true constants in life.

but somehow, this time feels a bit different. for once, i'll go away and have no idea what will change, stay the same, or remain when i return. for once, i'll leave and not know how i'll change, what parts of me will be the same, or what part of me will remain when i return. this is what i fear the most: that the things i didn't want to change will, that things i wanted to stay the same won't, and that the things that remain won't be enough. i fear that the old will no longer be compatible with the new, and the new will be something i didn't want.

somehow it's not leaving that i fear, it's returning.


3 comments:

  1. Kris, knowing you, I know you will find a way to be yourself no matter what the circumstance. IMHO, I think it's futile to think about what's going to change/not (because it`s out of our control), but rather have the open mind you talk about to adapt to whatever life throws at you (which we do have control over).

    I hope you are having an awesome (and safe) flight to Africa right now. Miss ya already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss you already best friend.
    i can guarantee you one thing for sure, i will forever be here waiting for you when you get back no matter how you've changed, because i know it will be for the better :)

    be safe <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was my emo day ;p

    ad: what's IMHO? True true. I just don't like not having control over things, but I can deal and manage with whatever happens. i am here and safe!

    janna: THANKSS :D kathleen and i know that we will become much more patient people...due to the internet here and random power outages ;p miss you too!

    ReplyDelete